Monday, July 7, 2008

Laminaria...officially finished!

I couldn't resist the urge to show off my freshly blocked looks even better now than it did before! (please excuse the stupid face I'm making in this picture). I don't know if you remember me mentioning that I didn't have space large enough to block it on. Turns out that I just had to be a little bit more creative in selecting a space to use. I am very happy to pass on to all of you that a back porch (or a front one I suppose) works excellently for lace blocking. I felt no guilt poking hundreds of tiny holes into it, and it certainly didn't matter that my shawl got it all wet. It was the prefect weather for outdoor blocking today, so I took advantage! Of course, there were times when I needed to place a pin directly in the space between two boards...once again I improvised and pinned "sideways"

I had about 1 and 1/4 skeins remaining from the project, but was a little bit bored with the colour, so I decided to take on another adventure and dye the remaining yarn a different colour. I chose navy blue (because it was dark and would cover just about anything...I also like navy blue). I have to admit that this was my first attempt at using acid dyes, and all in all I think I did OK. I had no idea how much I should allow the water to boil, or how much dye to add (and I don't think that I used enough) but the experience was fun and educational! I'll post pictures of the dried skeins soon!

No comments: