Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blocking!

Over the years I have learned to love and appeciate the blocking process because it has saved my ass more times than I can count. From making a sweater a titch too small to fitting just right. Ensuring all my stitches lay nice and flat after I shoved the pieces in and out of my bags, left them in a heap on the couch to giving my lace knitting the best look on the planet!

Blocking: you are my best friend EVER - lets be BFFs, I promise to treasure you, really I will. I have also learned some tricks to ensure all like pieces, like sleeves, fronts and backs of sweaters or cardigans are the same length. I am not sure if I thought of this myself or the idea popped up on someone's blog. Anyhoo, here it is.

Lets block some sleeves, shall we? I first thread blocking wires through the sleeve edges of the first sleeve and pin to proper measurements. I then spray the piece like there is no tomorrow to completely soak the piece. I thread blocking wires through the 2nd piece, lay it directly on top of the 1st piece, pin it to the same size and spray that piece like crazy yet again.

Once both pieces are dry I then have two sleeves that are the same size in width and length.

Perfect, everytime:

No comments: