Tuesday, August 12, 2008

felting frenzy

As you know all too well by now, I am a devoted lover of all things cute...or should I say Kyuuto?
My latest endeavor into the world of Japanese Cuteness was through the medium of felt, and I loved it! This was my first attempt at needle felting, or felting anything for that matter, and I finally get what all the hype is about. It happens often that a customer will come into the store with a slightly frenzied look in their eyes searching for more felting needles and roving to felt. They carefully pick over colours, searching for the perfect fit for their projects, and leave dejected if the right eye colour isn't there. This behaviour now makes sence to me; I have joined the ranks of the frenzied felter, and I love it!

For my first attempt I decided to felt some birds. There are great instructions in Kyuuto's Fuzzy Felted Friends, and I figured that I should understand the basics of needle felting before I embark on the life-size deep sea diorama that I've been planning. Success! As it turns out, needle felting is quick and easy as well as being super fun. With just a felting needle and a pinch (or handful, depending on your project) of roving, you can make the soft and fuzzy likeness of just about anything you want!




In other Kyuuto news, I have just finished another amigurumi. This time its a bunny made from Noro Kochoran. Amigurumi are great fun to make, but even more fun to assemble as each lumpy little piece of crochet is transformed into one very cute creature!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Congratulations Lisa on your new shop (I know I am a little late). I will definitely keep you in mind if I ever visit Canada.