Monday, August 4, 2008

The August Lady Sweater

My August knitting project is going to be the February Lady Sweater - The grown-up version of the baby sweater.  But, just knitting this sweater in August isn't enough of a challenge for me... I'm going to knit this sweater in 16 days, as part of the Ravelympics!   - The Olympics, Knitting-style! The idea is to complete a knitting project in the timeline of the Olympics, and there are teams, and events, and it's tonnes of fun!  

The yarn I've chosen for my February Lady is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool - It's a DK weight yarn, which is smaller then the Aran yarn the pattern calls for, so to compensate, i've done some math, and figured out I need to go up two sizes and work on a 4mm needle to get a sweater that will fit me.  I've already knit up a swatch.  (this is considered training, and is allowed, before the Olympics start) 
DSC01864.JPG


Since the theme for this month is Elizabeth Zimmermann, here's some projects of hers I have completed recently.   You can find them both in the Opinionated Knitter, and Knitters Workshop. 

First, the famous, and ever popular Baby Surprise Jacket.  You've seen the one I knit from Silk Garden Lite, it's hanging in the store.  But here's one that I made from regular Silk Garden, for a 6-12 month size.  
DSC_0233.jpg

The BSJ is knit all in one piece, all in garter stitch, this means that there is no purling! It's fun to knit, and so interesting. It looks beautiful in self-striping yarns, as well as verigated, or hand dyed yarns, and you can knit in any yarn in the store, and come up with a different size... from sock weight for a newborn, to big wool for a large child / small adult!

Next, there is the Tomten, which is another all-garter sweater.
DSC01076.jpg

This is a great sweater to try out striping on. I love the way the striping on the arms works to look like suspenders. I used Lang Zoom, which is a heavy worsted weight yarn, and I made it to fit my two year old cousin. It's a quick, and fun knit too!

No comments: