Monday, March 10, 2008

Ahh Lace...


Lately I have been working on a sample for the store in the most heavenly yarn, Filatura Di Crosa Superior! Superior is a cashmere and silk blend (%70 cashmere and %30 silk) in a tiny tiny lace weight. The pattern I have been using is Ice Queen from the Knitty's winter 07 issue. I've knit this pattern before, and it is the reason that I now love lace as much as I do (which is quite a lot, I should mention). Needless to say, I was happy to knit this quick and easy lace sample for the store. Using beads was a new thing for me however, but I am happy to report that it is VERY easy to do! Beading gives this piece a really nice drape, and lets it sway back and forth with every movement. Superior turns out to be a really nice match for this pattern. This yarn gives the stitch pattern a lot more definition than the Kisdilk Haze, and the end results look quite a bit different. Here are some examples for you to use as a comparison:



On the left is my Superior Ice Queen. Even though this picture was taken from very close the stitches are all (relatively) clear and easy to see. Also note that cute little bead I stuck in there! On the right is my first Ice Queen in Rowan Kidsilk Haze. Bearing in mind this version does not have beads to weigh it down, it looks more like a ball of fuzz than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love fuzz...I just wanted to show you the difference you can get from using different yarns.
Because I have already made an Ice Queen for myself, I thought that I would fine parting with this piece...this is not the case. How naive I was to think that I would be able to give up so much cashmere! So I hope that my sacrifice is worth it, and all you knitters out there love my Superior Ice Queen as much as I do. It is very close to completion, so make sure that you drop in to see it soon!

Emily

No comments: